It’s Halloween time, check out the Pumkin Banana Smoothie recipe in the link below
I love Curry, Tuna and sour taste in mouth . Also I am a person who is not a big fan of eating things separate, I am more of a person who will combine Salad and Curry or Salad and Rice; Pasta, Haleem, Harees, Madhrooba and u name it. And I tell you if you Salad tastes good u won a jackpot by mixing your main course with Salad.
So one day I decided to do a little experiment at home combining all three in one. Ya Allah I love its taste.
So yeah I usually make this dish for dinner, and tonight after a very long time I prepared this dish again and it tasted great with yogurt on side.
I have tried making the same recipe using different type tunas preserved in olive oil, sunflower oil or salt water. Each type gives a different taste to the dish, for example the dark tuna meet gives a horrible taste, salt water tuna make the dish too salty, white meet in sunflower oil gives a perfect taste. The type of tuna I used and personally prefer for this recipe is in the picture below :
- Canned Tuna Fish – 2 cans (I used white meat tuna solid pack in sunflower oil)
- Tomato (chopped) – 2 medium
- Onion (sliced) – 2 medium
- Coriander– chopped
- Salt – As required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken Stock Cube – 1 piece
- Oil in the Tuna Cans
- Cajun – 1 tbs
- Lemon – 1 medium
- Do not drain the water and oil from the canned tuna fish. I prefer making this recipe in Tuna water or oil become it give a delicious taste.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions till golden.
- Add tomatoes along with little salt and stir till the tomatoes are crushed.
- Now add the cube, oil in the cans, chilli powder and Cajun powder and stir for a few minutes.
- Mix the tuna fish and cook for 5-8 minutes adding later on green chopped chilli and lemon juice and chopped coriander to it
- Finally, serve the dish with some yogurt aside.
Like I said I love mixing salad with my main course so that’s why I don’t fry my onions till they get soft and same goes to the tomatoes i don not cook tomatoes till they get mashed and become like a paste, but until they get soft and start looking like they are crushed.
You always have the choice of adding fresh water instead of the can water or oil, but can water or oil gives a better taste. Trust me.
I prefer putting yogurt with the tuna for if it’s too spicy, salty or sour u always have something to save you 😛 .
Hope you try it out one day and share your experience or picture maybe. Let me know what you think.
A few weeks back I was having lunch with a friend of mine at a quaint restaurant in Fremantle. Bread in Common is one of my favourite places to eat. It has high ceilings, a cozy atmosphere, and vintage vibes as it is situated in an old revamped warehouse. The food is delicious, the menu…
Kaddu(petha) ka halwa, or pumpkin (squash) puree/halwa. It is not like carrot or semolina halwas, it has very soft creamy texture and it is very sweet.
I have tried making this halwa several times following the same recipe, and each time i made, it got improved and tasted better, so the more you try the better results you get every time.
The hardest part for me is peeling pumpkin, because it is pain and needs a lot of energy. This website gives you tips on how to peel pumpkin easily ( How I Make Peeling (and Cleaning) Pumpkin a Little Easier ).
It can be a sweet dish or a perfect breakfast with bread or puris.
- 3 cups shredded/chopped pumpkin (squash/kaddu/petha)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- cardamom powder
- Shred pumpking using meat mincer or you can chop pumpkin into small cubes
- Heat the ghee in a pan or wok
- Add pumkin and let it cook until it releases water
- Add water, stir and cover until it cooks and get softened, and should be of mashable consistancy
- Let it simmer for 3 minutes then add sugar and cardamon
- Cook and stir untill thickens, and water reduced
- Garnish it with pumpkin seeds or dry fruits
- It can be served hot or cold
Note: Don’t throw pumkin in a blender adding water to it, because it will take for ever to get rid of the water.
There are many recipes you can make with sago, like sago milk pudding and different types of halwas. But the one I love eating and making the most is Bahraini/Omani halwa.
Bahraini or Omani halwa is basically made using corn starch instead of sago, but sago halwa has its own taste. And halwa has to be there in every kind of occasion, it is considered as a hospitality code.
Preparation time : 1 hour – 1.30 hours
2 1/2 – 3 cups Sugar
5 cups Water
50 gram Unsalted butter
1 tsp Saffron
1 1/4 cup Sago
1 1/4 cup Rose water
2 tbsp cardamom powder
nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts), toasted
- Infuse the saffron in rose-water, and sago in normal water for about 30 min to one hour.
- In a big pot or wok on medium heat add sugar and stir until it melts and turns brown.
- Add butter to the sugar and stir until it becomes toffee, beat if necessary to remove lumps.
- Add one tbsp of cardamom powder and stir.
- Blend sago and water until it becomes white paste and add it to the toffee mixture, and cook until it becomes smooth and lumps free.
- Add rest of the cardamom and still until it gets mixed well and then add infused Saffron and rose-water to the mixture and cook for some time.
- When you see it started becoming thick but soft and little chewy turn of the heat and pour it directly in the serving tray and top it with desired nuts and set it to cool down.
I made this recipe up, I don’t know if there is a similar dish/recipe or not, because I have searched online but I couldn’t find any. So yes I guess I can take the credit.
It is very simple to make, and it can be made within 40 min.
- 3 Eggplants
- Maggie Cube
- 5 tbsp Gram Flour
- Frying Oil
- For pakora batter, mix gram flour, salt pepper, coriander powder and add little bit of water for smooth medium consistency batter. and keep it aside. Personally I don’t like thick batters.
- Cut 2 eggplants thick slices to make bottom layer, and last piece cut it thin slices for pakoras. season eggplants with salt and keep them aside till they lose water. It’s up to you if you want to throw eggplant water or add it to the batter. Personally i make thick batter and then add eggplant water to make it smooth medium. It gives the whole thing a different taste.
- Place thick slices on your baking tray and bake them 10 minutes each side.
- Dip the thing slices in the batter and gently place them in hot oil till they become crispy golden.
- For sauce, i use normal cream that can be used in making sweets as well, i just add a little bit of water and one Maggie cube and let it cook for a while and take it of the stove.
- Now when everything is ready, you just need to layers things up, take a baking dish place thick baked slices in it and pour some white sauce, and on top of the souce place eggplant pakoras and cover them with rest of the souce and add mozzarella on top and put it in the over for 15 minutes on 180 c.
I loved it, but next time i will keep both layers eggplant pakoras, coz pakoras taste was totally different and it was melting in my mouth.
I used emperor fish (we call it in Arabic ِشعري Shi’ari) to make our lunch. We have rice with fish always, never tried bread with this kind of fish, except for tuna fish.
Anyhow i just wanted to try something new so i mixed two spices together (Fish Masala & Tandoori Masala) and it tasted good.
- 4 Medium Size Emperor Fish ( شعري = Shi’ari)
- 2 tbsp Fish Masala
- 2 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- 1 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar ( grandma told me to)
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Chopped Parsley
- Garlic butter
- Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Add fish marinade for 30 minutes.
- Put the fish on the baking tray or baking dish.
- Cut potatoes in 3 thick slices and give them cube cuts and cut the tomatoes from top X shape.
- Combine garlic butter, chopped parsley and pour the combined mixture in the cuts you made on potatoes and tomatoes.
- Place potatoes and tomatoes on the same baking tray with the fish or you can put them separate in another baking dish.
- Bake everything for 30-40 minutes or until well-baked.
- Serve immediately.
I made this recipe to make it easier for myself to have dates every day and stay full till lunch time, because i feel hungry alot that sometimes i have breakfast 3 times in the morning.
Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals. Its a good source of energy, sugar and fiber. Essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium,magnesium and zinc are found in dates. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
You can read more about Health Benefits of Dates here.
Here in middle east we can find dates easily everywhere in any supermarket, and for this recipe i used Khalas dates they are average-sized and reddish dark brown in colour, Khalas dates are moist and sticky, have a hearty flavour and a butter-caramel taste. Very fleshy, they melt warmly in your mouth.
I tried using different type and the result was unsatisfactory and it did not last long, so i prefer only Khalas type.
- 1/2 pack of Khalas dates
- 2-3 tbs of water
- 1 tbs of rose water
Take out the seeds from the dates and keep the flesh in a small cooking pot , turn on the stove on low heat and add water and rose water to it and keep stiring till the dates melt and become sticky again, just make sure it’s not runny otherwise it will not taste that good and won’t last long. Keep it in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
You can have it on your toast, rusks, with banana and icream, or on top of your cake.
Chutney or Chutni is basically a sauce and it can be of almost any vegetable. Mostly chutnies are made salty & spicy, but also some can be sweet if they are made of fruits. It is very easy to make chutney, and can keep it refrigerated for quite some time.
I love making Green chutni = Coriander & mint chutni, but i have tried making tomato chutni for the first time as well, and my family liked the tomato chutni more, because they are used to eating and tasting the green one, so it was something new for them.
Chutnies can be used for almost anything, sandwiches spread, dipping for snacks, mixing with anything to give some taste, or having it with lunch or dinner.
Coriander & Mint Chutni:
Remember this chutni is spicy 😀
- One fresh chopped corander bundle (Only leaves)
- One fresh chooped mint bundle (Only leaves)
- Fresh green chilli ( add 3 if you want it less spicy, 5 or more if you want it really spicy)
- Two tbs chopped ginger
- One chopped onion (medium sized onion)
- One lime/lemon juice
- One teaspoon cumin (zeera) powder
- Black Pepper powder
Blend all the ingrediants together to get a smooth paste using little water. Cook the mixture on medium heat until it becomes thick and water is very less, this will let the chutni last long. Let it cool off then keep it in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
To give it more taste, you can add tamarind sauce to the mixture and cook. Some blend tomato with it, and some add garlic to it and blend. It all depends on you how you want it or like it.
Not adding ginger and cumin powder to it will result in a tasteless but spicy chutni, and you don’t want this to happen to your chutni of course.
This one is spicy too.
- 4-5 medium chooped tomatos
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbs of ginger
- 1 chopped medium onion
- green chilly or red chilly
- 1 tbs or 2 of viniger
- 1/2 lemon juice
Blend all the ingrediants together, you might not need water to smoothen the paste, but if you do just add little bit of water less than 1/4 cup. Cook the mixture until it becomes thick and water is less. Let it cool off and then keep it in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
Now this can be a snack or a breakfast, and it is supper easy to prepare. You can try with different stuffing if you like.
All you need is:
- 2 slices of Bread
- 1 tbs Milk
- 1 Egg
- Cheese (any kind – i used kiri cheese)
- seasoning that you like
- Ghee or Butter
Spread the cheese on one slice of bread or if you like it extra cheesy then spread on both slices and put them both facing each other just like normal sandwich, cut the crust off the bread and cut it into four equal cubes. whisk egg, milk and seasoning that you like (i just added salt and pepper, but you can try adding oregano or paprika), heat some ghee or butter in a nonstick frying pan, soak each cube in the egg mixture and cook on medium heat until browned from every side.
Okra pickle recipe: Sweet & Sour Okra Pickle Recipe
*You can try making sweet egg mixture and instead of cheese you can use banana, jam or chocolate.