Kaddu(petha) ka halwa, or pumpkin (squash) puree/halwa. It is not like carrot or semolina halwas, it has very soft creamy texture and it is very sweet.
I have tried making this halwa several times following the same recipe, and each time i made, it got improved and tasted better, so the more you try the better results you get every time.
The hardest part for me is peeling pumpkin, because it is pain and needs a lot of energy. This website gives you tips on how to peel pumpkin easily ( How I Make Peeling (and Cleaning) Pumpkin a Little Easier ).
It can be a sweet dish or a perfect breakfast with bread or puris.
- 3 cups shredded/chopped pumpkin (squash/kaddu/petha)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- cardamom powder
- Shred pumpking using meat mincer or you can chop pumpkin into small cubes
- Heat the ghee in a pan or wok
- Add pumkin and let it cook until it releases water
- Add water, stir and cover until it cooks and get softened, and should be of mashable consistancy
- Let it simmer for 3 minutes then add sugar and cardamon
- Cook and stir untill thickens, and water reduced
- Garnish it with pumpkin seeds or dry fruits
- It can be served hot or cold
Note: Don’t throw pumkin in a blender adding water to it, because it will take for ever to get rid of the water.