I used to hate vegetables and their taste. Till today i try to find other ways of having vegetables without hating their taste. So i chose to turn them in to pickles… WHO DOESN’T LOVE PICKLES …
This is my second time of making Okra pickle, and i thought of sharing the recipe, because it does taste different and delicious. Coming to the taste, it tastes like Sweet & Sour different than other pickles. My mother loved it so much, that she told me to keep some for our vegetable vendor.
Ingrediants are simple and method is simpler. Here are the quantities and measurements i used to prepare it and pictures i took while and after preparing, and when it’s ready.
- 1/2 kg Okra
- 2 1/2 cups Water (or more depending on the jars you will use to pour in)
- 1/2 Sugar
- 1 tbs Salt
- 3 to 4 Red Chilli
- 1/2 cup Red Vinegar (or any other vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Soak Okra in water while you prepare the mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar and salt. Bring to a rolling boil. then set aside till it cools abit.
- Cut Okra heads and Divide the fresh Okra evenly between 3 jars or if you wish one big jar.
- Place one dried chile, and one divide mustard sees, coriender, red pepper flakes and black peppercorns into each jar.
- Pour the combines mixture over the ingrddiants in the jars. Seal them and put then in a dry dark place for 10 days until it become ready.
After 10 Days you will see the water in the jar has been reduced. to keep them all soacked in the mixture, prepare more quantity of the mixture and be careful witht he amount of increment.
Bon appétit or as we say in Arabic (بالعافية Bil-Aafiya) meaning with good health.